-
June 13th, 2003, 07:57 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Is it possible for a standing wave to be generated in a cabinet at a frequency above 500 hz when that is the crossover frequency?
-
June 13th, 2003, 08:12 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Yes, it can be the harmonic of a lower fundamental.
GM
-
June 13th, 2003, 08:32 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Thank you. That helps. I'm getting a resonance somewhere between D and D# above A 440 and I'm trying to determine whether it is the system or the room acoustics. It would have been nice if I could have eliminated standing waves being the cause.
-
June 13th, 2003, 11:12 PM
#4
Senior Hostboard Member
If it moves around the room with the speaker....... Anyway a 500Hz standing wave is ~6780"/500 = ~13.56", so if one of the cab's inside or outside dim is around this, or a driver is ~ this high above the floor, or from a wall, etc..
Lots of ways to generate one IOW. Good hunting!
GM
-
June 14th, 2003, 01:54 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Bingo!!! Interior depth ~13.5"
What would be the best way to break it up? I currently have 1" fiberglass on the rear, top and one side, but previously had dimpled foam on all sides, so I'm not sure that lining the front will fix the problem, unless I need to use a lot more fiberglass.
-
June 14th, 2003, 02:39 AM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
If it's strong enough to be audible then the two walls aren't rigid/damped enough, so it sounds to me like triagulated bracing and duct seal is the cure, unless you want to stuff the cab with ~1.5lb/ft^3 of polyfil/Miraflex/or equal.
GM
-
June 14th, 2003, 09:45 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Thank you, again. I'll work along those lines.
David
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks